In 1874 Joseph A. Steinauer moved the post office from his home to his newly constructed store. The store housed the bank and the post office. In 1888 a backroom was added and the local newspaper was printed there until 1912. In 1898 the bank was moved to a new building and the post office became the primary occupant.
The post office was officially closed by the US Postal Service in 2011. The building remained vacant until it was purchased by Tom and Joann Lutcavish who later sold the building to Robert and Tony Steinauer. The Lutcavish’s and Steinauer’s rehabilitated the building. In 2013 Erma Gyhra approached the Steinauer’s and presented her idea to use the building as a museum about the pioneer history of Steinauer.
The Steinauer Community Heritage House was officially dedicated on August 30, 2014.
The Steinauer Heritage House is a non-profit run by volunteers. If you would like to help support the heritage house donations can be made through PayPal using this link:
or by check, payable to:
Steinauer Community Heritage House 206 3rd Street, Steinauer, NE 68441